This gear list has been updated for the 2018 race.
Full Time Mandatory Team Gear [1 per team must be carried at all times]
- Writing utensil(s) [helpful for marking up maps!]
- Working cell phone (to be kept OFF and used only for emergencies)
- First aid kit containing, at minimum:
- 4 acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or similar
- 4 band-aids
- 1 ace bandage
- Water purification method for entire team
Full Time Mandatory Individual Gear [Each team member must have the following at all times]
- Space blanket
- Means to carry at least 50 oz. of liquid
- Waterproof jacket
- Means to carry mandatory gear (e.g., backpack)
- Headlight (with enough batteries to last for the entire event) **24-hour teams only**
Mandatory Team Biking Gear [1 per team must be carried on all biking sections.]
- Tire pump or CO2 cartridges
- Tool kit for repairs (e.g., changing a flat, chain repair)
Mandatory Individual Biking Gear [Each team member must have the following on all biking sections.]
- Flashing red tail light
- Bike helmet
- Spare tube
Although not mandatory, we highly recommend a handlebar-mounted front lighting system for biking for 24-hour teams only. A bright headlamp will suffice though visibility will be better with a front lighting system.
Mandatory Paddle Gear [Each team member must have the following on all paddle sections.]
Race management will provide kayaks/canoes, PFDs, and paddles. You may use your own PFDs and paddles if desired.
- 1 canoe provided for teams of 2 or 3, 2 canoes provided for teams of 4. Single kayaks provided for solo racers.
- PFD (type-III or higher; provided) per racer
- Paddle per racer (Single-bladed canoe paddles for all racers except for double-bladed kayak paddles provided to solo racers. Racers may bring their own paddles.)
- For teams bringing their own paddle gear, please also bring a bag that will fit all gear. No food or water can be stored in paddle bags.
- 2 chem lights per boat + 1 chem light per racer with zip ties sufficient to attach all chem lights. For example, a team of 3 would require 5 chem lights and zip ties while a team of 4 would require 8 chem lights and zip ties. **24-hour teams only**
- Front-mounted bike light
- Long pants, tights or leg protection
- Bike gloves
- Bike odometer
- Sunglasses or hat with visor
- Bug spray
- Waterproof map case or others means of waterproofing maps
- Waterproof case for phone
- Duct tape
- Communication devices (other than cell phone to be kept OFF except for emergencies)
- Motorized means of transport